Thursday, October 8, 2009

Super Nana to the Rescue

Ok, this picture has nothing to do with the post, but I think it's sweet....This stuffed cat was made by my Grandma, and it sat faithfully on her bed in the nursing home where she lived until she went into the hospital and passed away nearly 2 years ago. My Mom kept it, and Owen has attached himself to it. He loves this kitty....so much so that my mom has already had to repair her. Grandma would be proud!

My mom is a life-saver. Seriously, she saves lives...every day! She's Super Nana! Well, okay, she is more of a time and sanity saver, but that's just as good, right? My mom has graciously and eagerly agreed to take care of my 3 younger boys while I teach Evan his 3 Rs in the morning. At 9 am, I do Bible class with all 4 boys...that can sometimes be a circus....good thing God is so patient! I'm glad I have them all involved. Carter and Derek can say the pledge to the Bible and the American flag, are memorizing verses, have learned the days of creation, are singing new Bible songs, and they can answer catechisms that are on a Kindergarten level...such as:



Who made you? God made me.
What else did God make? God made all things.
Why did God make you and all things? God made me and all things for His own glory.
Who made God? Nobody made God.
Was God born? No, God has always been.
Will God ever die? No, God lives forever.


Let me tell you, 3 year olds can learn alot more than we give them credit for. The trick is getting them to focus long enough to catch it! Our 2 year old, Owen, is even able to say parts of the verses and the pledges. He is slowly, pain-stakingly slowly, going to learn to sit still for more than 10 seconds at a time. So, though there are moments (every morning) when I wonder why I am doing this class with all of them (have I gone mad?), I am glad I decided to...it's profitable for all of them, and it's being profitable for me, too. (though I must confess a sigh of relief comes over my whole body when 9:30 arrives!...imposing structure on toddlers is exhausting.)
Anywho, back to Super Nana....
Mom comes over after Bible class, and we put the boys shoes on, and she takes them over to her house for what she affectionately refers to as Nana's Preschool.
Super Nana isn't content to just babysit the boys;
She isn't willing to just put them in front of her high definition flat panel lcd tv (that my boys LOVE) all morning;
Super Nana isn't even happy to just watch them play.
No, not Super Nana!
Super Nana does Pre-school and Potty Training for 2 hours every morning!
Though she does incorporate some educational tv programs and playtime, she is determined to teach them things.
Like with Blue Day, Red Day, Green Day, Silly Hat Day, Silly Tie Day, etc.
They sing songs, read books, scavenger hunt, learn colors, learn values (like today...."Bee" Kind), make things (like today...kazoos out of t.p. rolls).
She's found that their attention span, even when they're enjoying something, can be short lived. But, bless her heart, she's trying anyway!
Here are some pictures of the boys enjoying Nana's Preschool:



Carter on Silly Hat Day

Owen wearing Papa's moose hat for Silly Hat Day
(some might wonder why a 6o some year old man owns a moose hat....I know I do!)

Papa joinging in the fun....some days they get to enjoy some time with Papa too, depending on his work schedule. He fits in well! :-)



Carter Owen and Derek on Silly Tie Day
...apparently Carter thought Nana said Silly Guy Day

Today, they searched Nana's house for 6 bees, and then had a lesson on "Be Kind"
Carter & Derek



And they made kazoos out of toilet paper rolls.
Best part is that Nana sent them home with them.
I know you can't tell on a blog, but that last sentence was laced with sarcasm!


And this is another of Owen's favorite playmates at Nana's preschool.
He calls him "Poop Bear". Precious, huh?

No comments: