Tuesday, March 9, 2010

He's Already Been There

I was blessed to hear this encouraging thought on part of a radio show today while making lunch for my munchkins.

No matter what lies ahead of me today, Jesus, my Shepherd, has already gone ahead and prepared the way for me.

When Christ described himself as our Shepherd, the shepherding that the Israelites would have understood was this: The shepherd walks ahead of his sheep, clearing the way, looking for danger; not walking behind them as we would picture someone herding sheep. He would keep watch of his flock, and if they were struggling, he would pick up the youngest sheep, and carry it, and the flock would follow.

So, whatever lies ahead of me today, Jesus has already gone ahead of me and prepared the way. I do not need to fear the unkown, because it is known to Him. He's already been there. And if the path should get steep, or if I stumble and fall, I know He'll reach down, pick me up, and carry me through. All He asks is that I TRUST Him.
The author who was sharing these thoughts said that "we think that love is the most important thing that we can give to our Shepherd, but Trust is what Love looks like."
That got me to thinking...
how many times do I say I love Christ, but then don't really live like I'm trusting Him? And what does it really look like to trust? It's obedience without the whole picture in view. If I obey Him, regardless of circumstances, feelings, other people, then I am trusting God. I don't see what God is doing in the big picture, and I may not understand it at all. Trusting is doing what He asks of me regardless of my view.
It's the sheep following the shepherd and obeying his voice, even though they can't see what lies ahead.
It's being kind even though it looks like I've been offended.
It's serving even though it looks like I am unappreciated.
It's praying even though I feel like sleeping.
It's giving even though I feel poor.
It's lovingly interacting with my husband and children even though I'm worn out.
It's speaking even though I feel like being silent.
It's being silent even though I feel like speaking.
It's doing even though I'm pretty sure I'm insufficient for the task.
It's remaining calm even though I feel like blowing up.
It's being joyful even though I'm in pain.
It's going even though I want to stay.
It's staying even though I want to go.
It's teaching and training my children even though I don't see the results today.
The list could go on and on.
What would it look like for you to trust? Obedience, Trust, and Love go together and it's what our Shepherd wants from us.

No comments: